We are your Symphony PEI, and we need your support to keep the music playing. It’s time to Play Your Part!
The Prince Edward Island Symphony has brought quality orchestral music to our province for nearly 50 years. Four times a year our orchestra brings together sixty or more musicians including professionals, students, music teachers, business people and community members for an exciting ‘concert weekend’ to rehearse and perform a program of classical music that is appealing to a wide audience.
There’s nothing quite like the power, majesty and grace of a live symphony orchestra, and the PEI Symphony is the Island’s own.
Now, we are asking for your support. The past five years have been a financial struggle for the orchestra. Increasing expenses, and declining donations and sales are putting the future of our orchestra at risk.
Please help us keep the music playing. Our community needs the PEISO, and the PEISO needs you – more than ever.
Just as each individual musician plays their part in an orchestra, we are asking YOU to play a part to help secure the future of our great orchestra.
What We Need & What You Get
We are aiming to raise a minimum of $15,000 to help us reduce our operational debt, to secure the future of the orchestra. With an annual operating budget of about $170,000 per season, we have been between unable to break even for the past 5 years, and we cannot continue without at least balancing our budget.
We certainly appreciate the generous support of the Canada Council of the Arts, the Prince Edward Island Department of Tourism and Culture, and the City of Charlottetown, and also to our key sponsors including The Joan & Regis Duffy Foundation, Provincial Credit Union, Hyndman Insurance, The Confederation Centre for the Arts, The Guardian, the Buzz, the Best Value hotels, Kwik Kopy, R. Birt & Associates, and Harvest Wholesale.
Even with their support, we need your help. Unfortunately our concert expenses have been increasing over the last five years while our individual and corporate donations, and yearly subscriptions have all decreased. In the last two years our individual donations have decreased by 50%. We need your support to keep the music playing.
As a thank you for supporting our orchestra, we have a fun range of unique perks available, from a handwritten card from a musician, an opportunity to play, or a sponsorship – there is a way for everyone to play a part!
Our orchestra has a huge impact on our community here in Prince Edward Island, and is itself a music community with a wide variety of individuals who either perform or appreciate quality orchestral music, and the joy of working hard together to create a beautiful live performance.
As a full symphony orchestra, the PEISO supports our cultural identity in Prince Edward Island and the greater Charlottetown area, at a level that’s commensurate with our status as a province and capital, and the birthplace of Confederation in Canada.
- Cultural events such as our concerts engage and attract professionals, businesses and educated audiences to our Island and our economy.
- Our audiences experience the incredible power and beauty of live orchestral music four times a season.
- Our $170K annual budget is primarily used to purchase supplies and services right here in PEI, reinvesting in our local economy.
- Four times per year we book twenty five hotel rooms for a full weekend for our travelling musicians.
- Every concert attracts off-island tourism.
- Charlottetown restaurants are busy during each of our four concert weekends.
- Professional PEI musicians have the opportunity to perform with a full orchestra.
- Young PEI student musicians have the opportunity to perform with an orchestra, as regular members and/or soloists.
- Islanders experience talented guest soloists and our guest soloists experience the orchestra and our Island community.
- Established PEI solo artists and groups have an opportunity to perform with a full live orchestra.
- Island popular music artists and groups can have their music arranged for orchestra for other engagements outside of PEI.
Other Ways You Can Help
The best way to support our orchestra is to come to as many of our concerts as you can! Our next concerts are Sunday April 12th, and Sunday October 19th.
Season Tickets will be available for purchase on April 12. Please check back here for details, or call 902-892-4333.
Our annual ‘Serenade to Spring Dinner and Auction’, returns to the Georgian Room at the Rodd Charlottetown on Saturday June 6 this year. Music will be provided by the Singing Strings. Tickets are $90 – and you receive a $50 tax receipt. Come enjoy the evening with us and/or consider donating items for the auctions in return for a tax receipt for the value of your donation!
…and listen, perform, share, and get excited about classical music! These are all the ways you can play your part!